Terre Haute in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wea Tribe at Terre Haute
This bountiful area on the Wabash River was occupied early by American Indians. French and later Americans recognized this strategic area called terre haute (high land). At least one Wea village was present in area by late 1700s. Wea Chief Jacco Godfroy and others ceded these lands to U.S. in 1809. Town of Terre Haute platted by Americans 1816.
Before leaving for 1824 meeting with U.S. agents, Chief Jacco and others ran a notice in the Terre Haute newspaper, which said they were leaving their "wives and children in the white settlement and . . . solicit the white people not to mal-treat them." Most Wea were forced to move from Indiana. Descendants of Chief Jacco still live in Indiana.
Erected 2004 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Native American Foundation of Western Indiana. (Marker Number 84.2004.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1809.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terre Haute IN 47801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Paul Dresser (approx. ¼ mile away); Vietnam War Memorial - - Vigo County Indiana (approx. 0.4 miles away); Claude L. Herbert (approx. 0.4 miles away); Korean War Memorial - - Vigo County Indiana (approx. 0.4 miles away); Medal of Honor Recipient (approx. 0.4 miles away); Operation Iraqi Freedom - War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); World War I War Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terre Haute.
More about this marker. Take along with you a picnic lunch and or fishing gear. This is a nice place to relax.
Also see . . .
1. Wea Indian Web-Site ::. (Submitted on August 13, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 13, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.