Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Army Corps

Artillery, Doubleday's Division

 
 
First Army Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
1. First Army Corps Marker
Inscription.  
U.S.A.
First Army Corps,
Artillery, Doubleday's Division,

Capt. J. Albert Monroe, 1st R.I. Light Artillery,
Commanding.
1st New Hampshire Battery,
Battery D, 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery,
Battery L, New York Light Artillery,
Battery B, United States Artillery.
September 16, 1862.

The artillery of Doubleday's Division went into position on the night of Sept. 16, 1862, on the high plateau about 22 yards east of this point. During the night the first New Hampshire Battery was advanced to within a few feet of this point; one gun was brought into this road.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 17, 1862.
 
Location. 39° 29.299′ N, 77° 45.05′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Pike and Mondell Road, on the right when traveling north on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Army Corps (here, next to this marker); Patrick's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Union Line of Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Army Corps (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named First Army Corps (about 300 feet away); The 7th Indiana Infantry (about 700 feet away); 7th Regiment Pennsylvania (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clara Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away); "God has indeed remembered us" (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Clara Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
More about this marker. See related comments regarding marker location.
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Artillery Battalion, 1st Division, I Corps. Commanded by Captain J. Albert Monroe, the battalion consisted of three batteries of 12-pdr Napoleons and one with 3-in Ordnance
First Army Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
2. First Army Corps Marker
Rifles. (Submitted on March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. Capt. John Albert Monroe. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
 
Additional commentary.
1. Marker Loction
In Battle of Antietam: The Official History by the Antietam Battlefield Board, 1998 edition, by George R. Large and Joe A. Swisher this marker location is listed as further to the north, outside of the National Park, along the Hagerstown Pike (MD 65). They record the marker as missing as of 1998. Furthermore the original text lists Battery B, 4th United States Artillery as the last line under the organization. The main text read, The Artillery of Doubleday's Division went into position on the night of Sept. 16, 1862, on the high plateau about 255 yards east of this point. During the night the First New Hampshire Battery was advanced to within a few feet of this point; one gun was brought into this road. The only major revision was the distance and direction with reference to the marker.
    — Submitted March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Tablets On the West Edge of the North Woods image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
3. Tablets On the West Edge of the North Woods
Three tablets stand near the intersection of Mondell Road and the Dunker Church Road.
First Army Corps Marker (Left) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. First Army Corps Marker (Left)
Capt. John Albert Monroe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott
5. Capt. John Albert Monroe
Doubleday's Artillery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
6. Doubleday's Artillery
The 1st Division artillery deployed to the north of the D.R. Miller house on the day before the battle.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 906 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on February 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5839

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024