Terre Haute in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1812 - 1912
September 4, 1812
The Fort was built by William Henry Harrison and at the time of the attack was commanded by Zachary Taylor, both of whom afterwards became Presidents of the United States.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor series lists.
Location. 39° 30.52′ N, 87° 24.727′ W. Marker is in Terre Haute, Indiana, in Vigo County. Marker can be reached from McCullough Avenue (becomes 4th Street) north of Fort Harrison Road. Located in the "Elks Fort Harrison Country Club" which is on the North side of Terre Haute. Taking U.S. 41 North - turn left (West) on Fort Harrison Road. At McCullough Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terre Haute IN 47804, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Unknown Embattled Defenders of Fort Harrison (within shouting distance of this marker); Burial Ground Fort William Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Gene Abrell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gold Medal Plaza (approx. 1.4 miles away); Twelve Points (approx. 1.4 miles away); Union Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Buried in this Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of First Providence Convent (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terre Haute.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.