Newport in Cocke County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
About 2 miles northeast, south of the mouth of Cosby’s Creek, William Whitson, Jr., established a fort on the east bank of Pigeon River in 1783. It was an important frontier outpost, since there was a ford there, and the west bank of the river was then Indian territory.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1783.
Location. 35° 52.299′ N, 83° 13.394′ W. Marker is in Newport, Tennessee, in Cocke County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilton Springs Road (U.S. 321) and Cosby Hwy., on the left when traveling south on Wilton Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Wilton Springs Road, Newport TN 37821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor Ben Walter Hooper (approx. 5.3 miles away); Jefferson County / Cocke County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Kiffin Yates RockwellCity Hall (approx. 7 miles away); Swinging Bridge (approx. 7 miles away); The Warford (approx. 7 miles away); The Cross (approx. 7.1 miles away); "Old Dutch Settlement" (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.