Kansas City in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
— 1857 - 2007 —
From 1857 to the present, town activities have revolved around the "City Market", an integral site for commerce, political rallies, medicine shows, circuses, balloon ascensions, and other public "entertainments" without limits. Its origin began much earlier.
In the 1820's, Gabriel Prudhomme, an early settler, purchased the underlying land from the Federal government. With his death in 1838 it was sold at public auction to a "Town Company" and named "The Town of Kansas". City government was established to manage it and placed at 4th and Main on a public square. For $50 Fred and Jacob Scheibel leased part of the square to operate a "Public Market". City government remained from 1857 to 1938: the market continues.
Indeed, for the past 150 years, the market operation, surrounded by merchants, offers both local produce, products and fine food and world produce and products as well. It remains the hub of community activity. It is the largest farmer's market in the Midwest with 140 vendor stalls. 590,000 annual visitors continue to make use of it.
Erected 2007 by Native Sons and Daughters
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Kansas City - Native Sons and Daughters of Greater Kansas City series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 39° 6.578′ N, 94° 35.007′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on 3rd Street. Marker is along the northern edge of City Market Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kansas City MO 64106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. P. Campbell & Company Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W. H. Morgan & Company (about 400 feet away); The Pacific House (about 400 feet away); General Orders No. 11 (about 400 feet away); Tootle, Hanna & Leach Dry Goods (about 500 feet away); The Old Chouteau Trading Post / Le Vieil Etablissement Commercial Chouteau (about 600 feet away); Kansas City's Old Square / Le Vieux Carre de Kansas City (about 700 feet away); Kansas City's Original Board of Trade (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kansas City.
Also see . . . The City Market, Kansas City(Submitted on August 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7. submitted on September 5, 2015.