Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cambridge in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Checkered House

 
 
Checkered House Baums headquarters August 13,1777 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Virginia McGreevy, August 16, 2012
1. Checkered House Baums headquarters August 13,1777 Marker
Inscription.  Site of the Checkered House built by James Cowden 1765. Baum's headquarters Aug. 13,1777 Continental hospital Aug.18,1777
 
Erected 1921 by OnDawa- Cambridge Chapter D.A.R.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 42° 59.536′ N, 73° 23.2′ W. Marker is in Cambridge, New York, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Turnpike Road and Owl Kill Rd, on the left when traveling south on Turnpike Road. Brass plate on a stone marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 627 Turnpike Road, Cambridge NY 12816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Skirmish (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Turnpike (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Church in Cambridge Patent (approx. 1.8 miles away); Continental Road (approx. 2 miles away); Great Northern War Trail
Checkered House Baums headquarters August 13,1777 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Virginia McGreevy, August 16, 2012
2. Checkered House Baums headquarters August 13,1777 Marker
(approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of British Encampment (approx. 2.3 miles away); Cambridge War Memorials (approx. 2˝ miles away); Sergeant Frederick W. Mausert, III (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge.
 
Additional keywords. Burgoyne Campaign, Bennington Battle, 1777
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 8, 2020