Salem in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old White Church
United Presbyterian Church organized by Ballibay Ireland July 23,1751
Rev Thomas Clark M.D. and his congregation immigrated to America in 1764 and settled in Salem and erected a log church in 1766 the first Protestant church in New York State north of Albany. This third building was erected in 1797 on Glebe land
Erected 1985 by New York State Education Department and Salem United Presbyterian church 1985.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical date for this entry is July 23, 1955.
Location. 43° 10.319′ N, 73° 19.737′ W. Marker is in Salem, New York, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 30 and Williams Street, on the right when traveling west on County Route 30. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25- 27 County Road 30, Salem NY 12865, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. T/SGT Francis J. Clark (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The White Creek Fort (about 700 feet away); 1852 Rail Yard (approx. 0.2 miles Stockaded Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); General John Williams (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.3 miles away); Revolutionary Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rexleigh Covered Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church, Salem, NY. Church Website (Submitted on August 23, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. This page has been viewed 352 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.