Near North Mountain in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Memorial to a Friend
The New Yorkers moved here on April 2, and James named the site Camp Hopkins for his friend and schoolmate Lt. James W. Hopkins, who recently had died in Martinsburg. The camp consisted of conical Sibley tents arranged in company streets, with the companies positioned in line-of-battle order. The regiment guarded the railroad and patrolled the countryside to confiscate Confederate contraband. A cornfield and an apple orchard were located nearby, although the crops did no ripen soon enough to benefit the men, who broke camp on June 13, 1863. The 106th New York
The campsite has survived remarkably intact since 1863, and holes where the tents stood are still visible. The Windle family generously donated the property to the Berkeley County Landmarks Commission in 2008.
"[Our camp is located on] a steep wooded hill on the brow of which the tents are laid out. ... Picture the tents on a firm smooth swail, intersperced plentifully with fine large trees and you have some idea of it." - Sgt. Maj. Charles W. Shepard, 106th N.Y. Volunteers, Apr. 8, 1863
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1967.
Location. 39° 34.2′ N, 77° 58.956′ W. Marker is near North Mountain, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Allenville Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 Allenville Road, Hedgesville WV 25427, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of North Mountain Depot (approx. 1.1 miles away); 307 North Mary Street (approx. 1.2 miles away); Payne-Kreglow House (approx. 1.2 miles away); 300 North Mary Street (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saint Mark's Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); 202 Town Spring Street (approx. 1.3 miles away); 204 North Mary Street (approx. 1.3 miles away); 201 North Mary Street (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.