Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Codorus Township near Spring Grove in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

York Iron Company Mine

 
 
York Iron Company Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 1, 2008
1. York Iron Company Mine Marker
Inscription.  Site of the last visible remains of an industry that had a major impact on SW York County. This mine opened in 1854 "the year iron ore was first discovered nearby" and was later purchased by York Iron. At the industry's height, 15 mines were in operation here, bringing hundreds of skilled miners from England and Wales. Rising prices and cheaper iron elsewhere caused the mines to close by 1888.
 
Erected 1993 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesNotable Events. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 39° 50.918′ N, 76° 48.725′ W. Marker is near Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, in York County. It is in North Codorus Township. Marker is on Hoff Road, half a mile north of Green Valley Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seven Valleys PA 17360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's (Ziegler's) Lutheran Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hanover Junction (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hanover Junction Vital Crossroads (approx. 1.9 miles away); 3-inch Rifles (approx. 1.9 miles away); Birthplace of Commercial Ice Cream Production (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jefferson (approx. 2.6 miles away); Municipal Memorial Hall (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jefferson Public Square (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
Farm near the mine site. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 1, 2008
2. Farm near the mine site.
This area is now a York County Park. The mines are home to several bat colonies.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,757 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5870

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024