Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793
The Alexander-Withrow House is one of the oldest surviving structures in Lexington. Dating from ca. 1793, it was built by William Alexander one of the area’s first settlers and the town’s first postmaster. A large and distinctive building, with unusually fine brickwork, it has undergone several renovations. It was badly damaged in the 1796 fire that destroyed much of the town, but it survived. In 1851, when the city lowered its streets, this house received a whole story underpinning it. The original front doors were now on the second floor level; the Washington Street door was bricked in and the one on the Main Street opened onto a balcony. Then in 1855, the owner, George Baker, replaced the original gable roof with a stylish, Italianate, bracketed one. Over the years, the house has served various retail functions on its ground floor and residential uses on the upper floors. The Withrow family owned it from 1875 to 1969. Historic Lexington Foundation bought it in that year, stabilized the exterior, and, in 1971, sold it to Carlson and Harriet Thomas who restored the interior and opened it as a country inn. In 1978 Peter and Susan Meredith
Location. 37° 47.108′ N, 79° 26.526′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on E Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is on E Washington Street, between Main Street and Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stonewall Jackson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson's Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockaway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jacob Ruff House, ca. 1829 (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lot One-Lexington (about 400 feet away); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 451 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.