Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
The Old Main Watch
[Marker text in German:]
Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim
nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut
militärische Embleme von
Johann Bernhard Kamm
Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie
[Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Constructed in 1774 under Prince Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim according to the plans by J.H. Roppelt. Military emblems by Johann Bernhard Kamm. A representational building of the Prince Bishop's Infantry.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 49° 53.709′ N, 10° 53.448′ E. Marker is in Bamberg, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Hauptwachstrasse and Promenadenstrasse, on the right when traveling north on Hauptwachstrasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hauptwachstrasse 16, Bamberg, Bavaria 96047, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Martinskirche / St. Martin Church (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Friedrich von Brenner (about 90 meters Catharinakapelle / Catherina Chapel (about 150 meters away); Carl Friedrich Kunz (about 150 meters away); Christoph Clavius (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Juliana Marc (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Stapf'sches Haus / Stapf House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Haus St. Benedikt / St. Benedict House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bamberg.
Also see . . . Hauptwache (Bamberg). Wikipedia (German language) entry for the Hauptwache, translated to Engish: The former Main Watch, located on Hauptwachstrasse 16, in Bamberg, is a two-story building constructed out of sandstone, with a Baroque-style mansard roof. The building was constructed from 1772-1774 for the military, under contract with Prince Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim. Construction was carried out by Johann Joseph Vogel according to the plans of architect Johann Georg von Roppelt. The military trophies and reliefs were executed by the sculptor Johann Bernhard Kamm (1736-1816). (Submitted on August 27, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.