Fulton in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Navigation District began planning significant improvements to the Fulton Harbor area in 1946 to alleviate the silting. First called the Little Bay Project, a temporary channel 100 feet wide and 6 feet deep was dredged to provide commercial and pleasure craft access. Financed by bonds, the breakwater and a concrete wall and timber bulkhead were completed by 1949.
Silting of the channel again restricted access, and the federal government was asked to provide dredging of the turning basin and 1000-foot-long protective dike on the north end.
Taxpayers approved a tax levy in 1954 to finance dredging of the harbor and the construction of bulkheads and a boat ramp. Additional property around the harbor was acquired to expand harbor facilities and encourage commercial development.
Erected 2012 by Town of Fulton, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., and Aransas County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 28° 3.818′ N, 97° 2.064′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on North Fulton Beach Road 0.1 miles north of Cactus Street, on the right when traveling north. Located opposite the Inn at Fulton Harbor. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fulton TX 78358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fulton Packeries (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Marion Packing Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tourist Courts and Cottages (about 600 feet away); Fulton Seafood Industry (about 700 feet away); Fulton Community Church (about 700 feet away); Fulton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fulton Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Home of George W. Fulton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.