Amsterdam in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
Guy Johnson came from Ireland in 1756 to work for his uncle, William Johnson. He became Deputy of Indian Affairs and took over as the Superintendent upon Sir William's death in 1774.
During the French & Indian Wars, Guy was a colonel in the local militia. He later served as a judge in Tryon County Court. He married his cousin Mary, Sir William's daughter, in 1763 and settled on family lands near her brother and sister.
When the American Revolution began, Guy Johnson represented the British government, bringing him threats of imprisonment from local patriots who also feared his influence with the Six Nations. In July 1775 Guy Johnson, his family, loyal supporters and Mohawk allies fled to Canada. On the way, his wife died in childbirth at Oswego.
Col Guy Johnson and several Mohawks traveled to England in 1776 to lobby for the Loyalist interests. While there, he and Karonghyontye (Capt. David Hill posed for a portrait by Benjamin West (far right).
By 1779 Guy had established headquarters in Niagara and was directing British raids on the Mohawk Valley. He moved to England after the war.
[Map & Drawing Captions]
Guy and Mary Johnson's first house was destroyed by a bolt of lightning in the spring of 1773. They rebuilt it with limestone, creating the central block of the building you see here today.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 56.815′ N, 74° 12.586′ W. Marker was in Amsterdam, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker could be reached from Evelyn Street just south of New York State Route 5/67. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Amsterdam NY 12010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Guy Park, 1766 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pvt. Frank J. Sirchia Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amsterdam World War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Claus Mansion (approx. ¾ mile away); Sweet Canal Store (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chuctanunda Terrace Site Donato (Dan) Persico, Chief T/M (approx. 1.1 miles away); 5th Ward War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amsterdam.
More about this marker. The marker was behind the building, however it is no longer there because it was lost or destroyed during the flooding that followed Hurricane Irene in August of 2011
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 31, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.