Franklin in Franklin County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Franklin Academy occupied this site from 1881 until 1922. It was one of six Congregational Church-affiliated academies in Nebraska. Others were located at Crete, York, Neligh, Weeping Water, and Chadron.
Over 2,500 students in college preparatory studies attended the Franklin Academy. Distinguished alumni include author Adah Patterson, Federal Judge Robert Van Pelt, and Dr. Frank Cyr of Columbia University, under whose leadership the standard yellow school bus was developed.
There were originally four buildings on the campus, now the Franklin city park: the main academy building; Stewart Hall, a boys' dormitory; Harrison Hall, a girls' dormitory named in honor of academy founder Reverend C. S. Harrison; and Dupee Music Hall, constructed in 1901. Dupee Music Hall still stands at its original site, immediately west of here, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Financial problems and declining enrollment due to the increasing number of public high schools caused the academy's closing.
Erected by Franklin County Historical Society, Franklin
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 40° 6.057′ N, 98° 57.164′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Nebraska, in Franklin County. Marker is on 16th Avenue (U.S. 136) near Q Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Franklin City Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin NE 68939, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franklin County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Lockheed F-80 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Franklin Congregational Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Dupee Hall of Music (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin County (approx. Ό mile away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.