Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Founded 1784. Oldest congregation in continuous existence in city. Founders were hunting party members who selected city’s site and named it Lexington in honor of first battle of the American Revolution. First pastor Adam Rankin’s home, oldest house in Lexington at 317 South Mill St., built in 1784. Over
Abraham Lincoln attended several services during the pastorate of Robert J. Breckinridge, 1847-53, initiating a lifelong friendship. This building, sixth home of the congregation, designed by Elder Cincinnatus Shryock, completed in 1872. It was considered his Gothic masterpiece. Renovated in 2007; received preservation award.
Erected 2008 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2277.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 2.965′ N, 84° 29.82′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 N Mill St, Lexington KY 40507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Clay's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Taking Politician Henry Clay to Court 1829 (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Public Library 1905 - 1989 / A Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan House (about 300 feet away); Samuel Brown, M.D. (1769 - 1830) (about 300 feet away); Hunt-Morgan House (about 400 feet away); Silversmith Shop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church - Church History. (Submitted on September 6, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.