Ellis in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Grand Army Hall
Following the end of the American Civil War veterans from both the Union and Confederate forces formed the veterans organization the G.A.R. or the Grand Army of the Republic. On 28 March 1883, the George Ellis Post 171 was established in Ellis, and the first formal meetings were held in the basement of the old stone schoolhouse located south of Washington Street.
Later, the G.A.R.s meetings were moved to the building along Jefferson Street that at that time was the largest meeting hall in town. In addition to it being a meeting place for the veterans, the wood frame building with its elevated stage also served as a location for church services, social events, July 4th gatherings, sporting events, graduation’s [sic], and even election headquarters. The G.A.R. band and color guard led many local parades. The first motion pictures ever shown in Ellis were shown by “Doodle” McDonald in the hall.
Eventually, local tinsmith, Andrew Kastner purchased the building and the proceeds were used to place a veterans’ memorial at Mount Hope Cemetery. In the mid-1920’s the hall was demolished by Kastner and Herman Erbert who
The last remaining member of the Ellis G.A.R. Post, G.G. Jackson, died 26 April 1934, 51 years after the post’s establishment.
Dedicated to the memory of America’s Veterans – Past, present and future.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 28, 1883.
Location. 38° 56.355′ N, 99° 33.691′ W. Marker is in Ellis, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is on Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 813 Jefferson Street, Ellis KS 67637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hickey Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Settlers from Bukovina, Austria (about 400 feet away); The Ellis House (about 400 feet away); Ellis' Original Main Street (about 400 feet away); War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Praying John Horrigan (about 600 feet away); History of The Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Regarding The Grand Army Hall.
Also see . . . Brief History of the Grand Army of the Republic. (Submitted on September 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.