Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
6th Georgia Cavalry
— Pegram's Division —
Col. John R. Hart.
11 A.M. Sept. 20, 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1285.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
Location. 34° 57.19′ N, 85° 15.615′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Old Lafayette Road north of Gilbert Drive, on the right when traveling south. This historic marker is located in front of a residence on Old Lafayette Road, and this road runs just west, and parallel to, the new Lafayette Road for two blocks, just south of Battlefield Parkway (State Route 2). According to the location information provided by the National Park Service the, “This monument is located along the Old LaFayette Road in the City of Fort Oglethorpe, GA”. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1931 Old Lafayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Reserve Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); First Firing on Chickamauga Battlefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest's (Cavalry) Corps. (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest's Pursuit (within shouting distance of this marker); 10th Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Pegram's Division (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong's Brigade. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 11:30 a.m.”
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.