Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This man-made island was designed and constructed in 1848 by a local engineer, James McEntee, to store the coal shipped by D and H Canal from Pennsylvania. The coal was transferred by steam-operated elevators to river barges for shipment to New York and New England. After the canal’s closing, the facility was converted for ship building, especially during World War I and II.
Erected by Kingston Urban Cultural Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 41° 55.071′ N, 73° 58.961′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker can be reached from W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located on the Kingston water-front. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Delaware and Hudson Canal (a few steps from this marker); 20th New York State Militia (a few steps from this marker); The Rondout Creek Suspension Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Louis CaterinoSampson Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); The West Strand (within shouting distance of this marker); Rondout (within shouting distance of this marker); New York State’s Heritage Area System (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
More about this marker. The upper left of the marker is an aerial photo of the waterfront from the John F. Mathews Collection. The right side of the marker contains a map of the Kingston Urban Cultural Park showing the location of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.