Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 10, 1815.
Location. 33° 37.715′ N, 84° 18.876′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Club Drive and Hood Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Club Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McIntosh Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler DriveHood Avenue (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road (approx. 1½ miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. The marker stands in the former Fort Gillem, now owned by the City of Forest Park. The city is just beginning to redevelop the property, and most of the existing buildings will be torn down. The Executive Director of the city’s Local Redevelopment Authority specifically intends to preserve all the historical markers on the site.
Regarding Hardee Hall. Hardee Hall was used as the Officers' Club for Fort Gillem.
Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.