Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mary Powell Bell
This bell, cast by the Meneely Bell Foundry in West Troy, New York, in 1861, came from the famous steamboat Mary Powell which operated on the Hudson River from 1861 to 1917. The Mary Powell ran between Rondout/Kingston and New York City and was known as the River Queen because of her speed and elegance. The Mary Powell was also known for punctuality. For each landing her bell was rung to signal her arrival, and it was said that people set their clocks by the sound of her bell.
Loan from the New York Historical Society
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 41° 55.116′ N, 73° 58.876′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is at the intersection of E Strand Street and Broadway, on the left when traveling west on E Strand Street. Marker is located near the Hudson River Maritime Museum, on the Kingston riverfront. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sections of the “Old Stone Road” (here, next to this marker); Rondout-Sleighsburg Ferry: Riverside, a.k.a. Skillypot (a few steps from this marker); 1898 Mathilda Steam Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulton’s Playground: Fun with Steamboats (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tugboat Mathilda (within shouting distance of this marker); Romer & Tremper Steamboat Dock (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cornell Steamboat Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mary Powell: Queen Of The Hudson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Additional keywords. Mary Powell Bell
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.