Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Born at Clinton, Georgia, February 14, 1829. Died March 31, 1911.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 37′ N, 84° 20.933′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hood Avenue and North 36th Street, on the right when traveling west on Hood Avenue. The marker stands at the Iverson Gate to Gillem Enclave, which is open only limited hours. Gillem Enclave is a portion of the now-closed Fort Gillem, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hood Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gillem (approx. 0.6 miles away); Flankers Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Wheeler Drive (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hardee Hall (approx. 2.1 miles away); McIntosh Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Morrow, Georgia (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
Regarding Iverson Gate. Iverson Gate was the western gate to Fort Gillem. It now serves that same purpose for Gillem Enclave.
Categories. • Forts or Castles • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Iverson Gate.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 504 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 8, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.