Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1946.
Location. 33° 36.98′ N, 84° 20.891′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hood Avenue and North 36th Street, on the right when traveling east on Hood Avenue. The marker stands in the Gillem Enclave, a portion of the former Fort Gillem which remains an active Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iverson Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gillem (approx. 0.6 miles away); Flankers Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2 miles away); Wheeler Drive (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hardee Hall (approx. 2.1 miles away); McIntosh Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Morrow, Georgia (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.m
Regarding Hood Avenue. Hood Avenue ran from Iverson Gate to McIntosh Gate at Fort Gillem; it was effectively the main road of the post.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.