Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 33° 37.683′ N, 84° 18.857′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hood Avenue and Moreland Avenue (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling east on Hood Avenue. The marker stands at Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forest Park GA 30297, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hardee Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler Drive (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood Avenue (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road (approx. 1½ miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.