Riverdale in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Marcus Long Crossroads
Aug. 30, 1864. Stanley’s 4th A. C. [US], moving S. from Red Oak, reached the Long house at noon where it encountered Confederate cavalry posted at the crossroads. Newton’s div., of the 4th, drove the cavalry N. E. on the Flat Shoals Rd. and deployed just beyond the Mann house. Kimball and Wood were aligned S. of the crossroads on the Fayetteville Rd., facing N. E.; Wood on the rt., joining the left of Baird’s div., 14th A. C.
Erected 1989 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 031-31.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1958.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 36.1′ N, 84° 25.75′ W. Marker was Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Riverdale GA 30296, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Baird’s Div., 14th A.C. (here, next to this marker); Site: The Mann House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site: Marcus Long House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site: Shoal Cr. Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); 14th A.C. at Shoal Creek Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Extended Line (approx. 1˝ miles away); Site of Couch House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bethsaida Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale.
More about this marker. The marker was known to be standing in 2003.
This missing marker had replaced an earlier marker with the same title and similar text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission, which had also disappeared from this location.
The text for the missing marker was taken from GeorgiaInfo/Galileo, the Digital Library of Georgia.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 26, 2015, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 2. submitted on September 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.