St. Pete Beach in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
For 10,000 years, Indians hunted the prairies and fished the waters of what later became Pass-A-Grille. The last group of Native Americans to settle in the Pinellas County area were the Tocobagas around 1000-1700 A.D. This area was first visited by Europeans in 1528, when the Spanish explorer, Panfilo de Narvaez, anchored off Pass-A-Grille Pass. Afterwards the island was used as a camp ground for fishermen to obtain fresh water and to grill their catch. According to legend, it is thought that Pass-A-Grille derives its name from the French, Passe aux Grilleurs. In 1857, John Gomez, self styled, "last of the pirates", began bringing excursionists here from Tampa, which gave this area the distinction of perhaps being the oldest resort on Central Florida's West Coast. Zephaniah Phillips, the first homesteader settled here in 1886, and by the turn of the century Pass-A-Grille had its first hotel and a ferry boat service from what is now Gulfport. The town of Pass-A-Grille Beach was incorporated into the city of St. Petersburg Beach in 1957, and in 1989, a section of Passe-A-Grill was declared a National Historic District.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Native Americans.
Location. 27° 41.345′ N, 82° 44.28′ W. Marker is in St. Pete Beach, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on Gulf Way near 10th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Gulf Way, Saint Petersburg FL 33706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tierra Verde Mound (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gulfport Casino (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. Bartholomew's Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Rattlesnake Curve (approx. 4.8 miles away); Stetson University College of Law (approx. 4.9 miles away); The History of Princess Hirrihigua (approx. 5 miles away); Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 15, 2012. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?