Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
He was the doctor for the Arizona Lumber and Timber Company, the town’s largest employer, at their company town known as Milton, where he established and ran the Milton (Mercy) Hospital, which served the whole community from 1912 -1935.
Raymond branched out into the cattle and sheep business and acquired large holdings, becoming an expert in feed grasses.
He was a very private man who never joined clubs or ran for public office, but his philanthropies were unequaled. He donated the land for the Lindberg Springs campground, and the Flagstaff Community Hospital. His name is remembered by the Raymond Buffalo Refuge, Raymond Scout Camp, and the Raymond Educational Foundation.
Erected 1994 by Mary L Scheuring, Richard & Sherry Mangum and the Main Street Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 35° 11.878′ N, 111° 38.942′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is on North Leroux Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 North Leroux Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telephone Exchange (a few steps from this marker); Aubineau Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McMillan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named McMillan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Coconino Chop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Weatherford Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.