Near Glenora in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1971 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number EM-1.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 38° 5.338′ N, 77° 47.227′ W. Marker is near Glenora, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) near the Douglas Run causeway, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spotsylvania VA 22551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spotsylvania's War Effort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Spotsylvania’s First African American ChurchJerdone Castle (approx. 6.1 miles away); Social and Economic Richness in the Livingston District (approx. 7.3 miles away); Asbury’s Deathplace (approx. 9 miles away); Bumpass (approx. 9.1 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2359 (approx. 9.4 miles away); Penny’s Tavern Site (approx. 9½ miles away).
Also see . . . Extended Research - Fredericksburg Area Markers. “Very little research has been done on Charles Chiswell and his furnace at Fredericksville. The small town of Fredericksville has long been erased from the maps of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County. The iron works were situated in the southwestern part of Spotsylvania County, about a half a mile from the North Anna River and twenty-four miles from the shipping point on the Rappahannock River. There are no definite dates for the beginning or end of the mine’s operation. Most likely, the Fredericksville furnace began operation between 1723 and 1727.” (Submitted on September 16, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.