Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bessie Tift College
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 2.109′ N, 83° 56.017′ W. Marker is in Forsyth, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Tift College Drive and Indian Springs Drive, on the right when traveling west on Tift College Drive. The marker is near the (now restored) old college entrance gate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Militia at Forsyth (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Hospital Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Record Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Dry Cleaners (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Pool Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); James CaféDillard's Barbershop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tift College (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
Regarding Bessie Tift College. The college was founded in 1849 as the Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute. It was renamed Monroe Female College in 1857 and became Bessie Tift College in 1907. The name was shortened to Tift College in 1956. Tift College merged with Mercer University in 1986 and was closed by Mercer in 1987. In 2010, the campus became the headquarters of the Georgia Department of Corrections.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on September 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.