Whitewater Canal State Historic Site
The Whitewater Canal was one of several projects begun by the Indiana Improvement Act of 1836, which was designed to improve transportation and develop commerce state-wide. Constructed to link southeastern and central Indiana, the canal was completed in 1847.
The canal extended 68 miles from Lawrenceburg to Cambridge City, with an eight-mile extension north to Hagerstown and a 25-mile extension to Cincinnati.
Although canal traffic flourished for several years, the project proved to be a financial disaster for the state of Indiana.
The costs incurred in the construction of the 56 locks and seven feeder dams required to maintain the canal totaled over one million dollars.
The advent and development of the railroad during the early 1860s marked the demise of the Whitewater Canal and the canal era in Indiana.
In 1946, the State of Indiana began the process of reclaiming and restoring a 14-mile section of the original canal.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 39° 26.79′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Metamora Christian Church (a few steps from this marker); Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Martindale Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Confectionary (about 300 feet away); Old Faulkner-Pierce Drug Store (about 300 feet away); Old Cobbler's Shop (about 300 feet away); Van Camp's Store (about 400 feet away); Metamora Masonic Lodge (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
Regarding Whitewater Canal State Historic Site. Whitewater Canal follows the river of the same name and originated in the early 1800s with the need for improved transportation routes.
Also see . . .
1. Whitewater Canal. (Submitted on September 19, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Whitewater Canal State Historic Site. (Submitted on September 19, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Additional keywords. Canals & Locks
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 19, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.