Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built 1842 during enlarge-
ment of Erie Canal. Far
chamber lengthened 1885.
Erected by Clifton Park Bicentennial Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 42° 47.161′ N, 73° 49.249′ W. Marker is in Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker can be reached from Ferry Drive. The lock is in the Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve, and can be reached after a brisk 15 minute walk from the parking area at the end of Ferry Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amity Reformed Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Vischer Ferry Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hamlet of Vischer Ferry (approx. Ferry (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Vischer Family (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to the Colonie Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Path (approx. 0.8 miles away); Vischer Ferry Historic District (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Regarding Lock 19. Lock 19, a double chamber lock, was constructed in 1842 to replace Lock 32, a single chamber lock built at this site in 1822. (The 1825 canal locks were not numbered consecutively from East to West like the enlarged Erie, they started numbering from the beginning in Rome.) The stonework was quarried in Rotterdam Junction. In 1885 the chamber on the berm side was lengthened. In 1875 an average of 95 boats-a-day entered Lock 19 during the 197 days the canal was open that year.
Also see . . . Historic Erie Canal Lock 19 Footbridge Opened in Clifton Park. Reprint from Canalway Trail Times (Submitted on April 24, 2014, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 702 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 22, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on March 29, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.