Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Camp Ford Stockade
Confederate Prisoner of War Camp
The west wall ran about ten yards east of this location. The main gate was not discovered during the archaeological work, but is thought to be about 75 yards to the south. Immediately outside the gate was the "wolf pen" where prisoners would be held for disciplinary reasons, as well as a cabin for the officer on guard.
Erected by Smith County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is October 23, 1867.
Location. 32° 23.809′ N, 95° 16.052′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana (about 300 feet away); African Americans at Camp Ford (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Camp Ford Stockade. Camp Ford was the largest Confederate Prisoner of War Camp west of the Mississippi River during the American Civil War. Established in August of 1863, the camp was not closed until May 19, 1865. At its peak in July 1864, over 5,300 prisoners were detained there. (Smith County Historical Society)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.