Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Schellsburg in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service

 
 
The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, October 6, 2012
1. The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service Marker
Inscription.  One of the nation's earliest cooperative extension offices was established in 1910 in Schellsburg, Bedford County, with A.B. Ross as county agent. The innovative program sought to educate farmers about agricultural science to increase their productivity. County extension offices are now found throughout the U.S. Farmers and other citizens continue to benefit from agents' expertise on agriculture, 4-H programs and family and consumer science.
 
Erected 2012 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 2.935′ N, 78° 38.667′ W. Marker is in Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Pitt Street (U.S. 30). Marker is located on the Lincoln Highway, U.S. Route 30. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3744 Pitt Street, Schellsburg PA 15559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker,
The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Kerr, September 23, 2012
2. The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service Marker
measured as the crow flies. Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor (within shouting distance of this marker); Shawnee Cabins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forbes Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forbes Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Log Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1806 Old Log Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bedford Co. Bridge #15 (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schellsburg.
 
More about this marker. Marker dedicated June 7, 2012 by the PA
Historical and Museum Commission.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2012, by Dave Kerr of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 6, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Dave Kerr of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 5, 2020