St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Francis Barracks
These coquina walls were once part of the Franciscan chapel and friary of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, established by missionaries from Spain. Before these walls rose, thatch-roofed wooden buildings on this site were burned in 1599, rebuilt and again destroyed by fire in 1702 when English forces from South Carolina burned the town.
The coquina buildings, known for years as the St. Francis Barracks, were used as military housing by the British from 1763 to 1783, by the Spanish, 1783-1821, and then by the United States. In 1907, the property was leased to the State of Florida for its military headquarters. The main building was gutted by fire in 1915, but the coquina walls were unharmed.
In 1921, by act of Congress, the St. Francis Barracks were turned over to the State of Florida.
Today the Barracks and the military reservation house the Headquarters, Military Department, State of Florida, and Headquarters, Florida National Guard.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Military • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1599.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82 Marine Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Florida’s El Camino Real (here, next to this marker); Four Centuries----Five Flags (here, next to this marker); Saint Augustine’s Oldest House (a few steps from this marker); Tovar House (a few steps from this marker); González-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); State Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Coquina. The St. Francis Barracks is made from a native Florida limestone called Coquina. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,366 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. 2. submitted on June 4, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3. submitted on September 18, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 4. submitted on September 27, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on September 18, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 6. submitted on September 23, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.