Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Blackwood in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oothcaloga Mission

←—«

 
 
Oothcaloga Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 30, 2008
1. Oothcaloga Mission Marker
Inscription.  

The two-story portion of this house was the Oothcaloga Moravian Mission Station, serving this region of the Cherokee Nation from 1822 until 1833. John Gambold, whose grave lies 100 yards east, was first missionary here.

Built in 1821 by Joseph Crutchfield, and sold to the Moravians in 1822, this house was an active church and educational center for Cherokee adults and children. Gambold died Nov. 9, 1827. He was followed by J.R. Schimidt (1827-28), Franz Eder (1828~29), and Henry G. Clauder (1828~38). Clauder served Moravian Cherokee for 6 years after white people occupied this building in 1833, following the Georgia land lottery of 1832.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-28.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1880.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
26.81′ N, 84° 54.871′ W. Marker was near Blackwood, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker was on Belwood Road, 1.6 miles south of Georgia Route 53, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Adairsville GA 30103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2˝ miles away); Cherokee Nation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Original Site Adairsville — 1830’s (approx. 3.6 miles away); Historic Liberty Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Liberty Church Grounds (approx. 3.8 miles away); Gordon County (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Calhoun Depot (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Calhoun Depot (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. There is construction work on Belwood Road in late 2012, possibly to widen the road, and the marker has been removed.
 
Also see . . .  Photograph of Oothcaloga Moravian Mission. The mission building burned many years ago. This link contains a photo of the mission. (Submitted on September 3, 2008.) 
 
Oothcaloga Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 2, 2012
2. Oothcaloga Mission Marker
The marker stood approximately where the blue and white pole stands (at the edge of the road) in the center of the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,106 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on October 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on September 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on October 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60002

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024