Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Church
This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96)and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the Georgia House of Representatives and as president of Georgia and Atlantic Railroad, Lawton served as Brigadier General and Quartermaster-General of the Confederacy, as ambassador to Austria- Hungary, and as fifth president of the American Bar Association. Chartered in 1907, St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Church acquired the building as its sanctuary in 1941.
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society and St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Church. (Marker Number 25-6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 32° 3.743′ N, 81° 5.901′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 West Anderson, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Georgia Volunteer (approx. 0.2 miles away); British Evacuation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Eighth Air Force (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Georgia Infirmary (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nina Anderson Pape (approx. 0.3 miles away); Francis Bartow (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Another marker referencing Lawton.
Also see . . . Alexander Lawton. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,851 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 27, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.