Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery

 
 
Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
1. Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker
Inscription.  
U.S.A.
Battery D, 2nd U.S. Artillery.

Lieut. Edward B. Williston, U.S.A., Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)

Battery D, 2nd U.S. Artillery, moved from its bivouac near Crampton's Pass on the morning of the 17th and went into position south of the Smoketown Road, its center 55 yards from this point, its right gun about 12 yards. It opened fire at the Dunkard Church and the woods surrounding it to drive therefrom the Confederate sharpshooters. It was relieved by Battery A, Maryland Light Artillery, Captain John W. Wolcott, and at 4 p.m., moved southwest to the high ground north of the Sunken Lane to cover the movement of the 7th Maine Infantry against the Confederates around the Piper Buildings.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 104.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 17, 1862.
 
Location. 39° 28.741′ N, 77° 44.595′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Smoketown Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Batteries A and C 4th U.S. Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Battery I, 1st U.S. Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Jackson's Command (a few steps from this marker); Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery A (within shouting distance of this marker); Woolfolk’s (Ashland) Virginia Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Hexamer's (New Jersey) Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith's Division, Sixth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Sixth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); First New Jersey Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery. The battery was part of 1st Division, VI Corps. It was armed with six 12-pdr Napoleon Guns. (Submitted on March 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. Edward Bancroft Williston.
Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
2. Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker
Edward Bancroft Williston (July 15, 1837 – April 24, 1920) was a brigadier general in the United States Army. He was a recipient of the Medal of Honor for gallantry during the American Civil War. (Submitted on October 24, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Five Tablets along the Smoketown Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
3. Five Tablets along the Smoketown Road
On the left stand numbers 101 and 109. On the right, closest to the camera, is 103, which has been tentatively renumbered 108 in documentation. Beyond it are numbers 104 and 341.
Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery Marker
Brig. General Edward Bancroft Williston (1837-1920) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott
5. Brig. General Edward Bancroft Williston (1837-1920)
Battery Location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
6. Battery Location
Looking southwest from the Smoketown Road just to the east of the marker location. Battery D, 2nd U.S. Artillery was sited to the south of the road in the fields of the Mumma Farm. On the horizon in the distance are the Visitors Center and the New York State monument. The battery was engaged with Confederates beyond those points in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on March 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6. submitted on March 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6034

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024