Angelica in Shawano County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This is the site where the 21-room Wescott House was located. It served as an overnight stop for stagecoach passengers and also housed a Post Office and General Store. Sometime around 1945 the building was removed by Mike Powers and Herb Rusch with some of the lumber being used for the construction of their homes.
In addition to the passengers, the stage also carried the mail and made drop-offs and collections along the route. Traveling by stage was somewhat risky because of hold-ups, mail robberies and horse runaways. At times a stage would tip over because of the condition of the road.
From the Pineries to the Present Heritage Tourism Area 2007
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1807.
Location. 44° 40.626′ N, 88° 19.038′ W. Marker is in Angelica, Wisconsin, in Shawano County. Marker is on County Highway C, 0.2 miles north of Cherry Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski WI 54162, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sgt Avery Wilber Memorial Bridge (approx. 9.8 miles away); Navarino Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away); Oneida Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.1 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 21, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.