Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory
Surreys, Stagecoaches and Tin Lizzies
National Road travelers also came to this area to upgrade their means of transportation. Nearby, the Spickler’s Buggy Factory developed rubber-tired buggies, improved horse-drawn sleighs, and later was the site of the first automobile dealer in Washington County.
Lewis Spickler, inventor and entrepreneur “My Father had a tent at the Hagerstown Fair and showed the first rubber-tired buggy in Washington County.”
Elizabeth Herbert, daughter of inventor Lewis Spickler. Lewis Spickler invented a new model horse-drawn sleigh in 1868 at his father’s blacksmith ship The filing in the U.S. Patent office explained the improvements. “The draught is less. The sleigh is less likely to overturn. The horse does not strike his heels
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 39° 39.498′ N, 77° 52.014′ W. Marker is in Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); “The Bank Road” (approx. half a mile away); Wilson’s Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wilson Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Wilson Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Capt. Samuel G. Prather (approx. 2.7 miles away); A Road Nurtures A Vision (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clear Spring.
More about this marker. The marker is .18 miles east of Spickler Road on the National Pike and is on the grounds of the Miller's Farmstead.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.