A. W. Gray & Sons
For over 50 years the shop, under the management of A.W. and his sons, Leonidas and Albert Y., employed some 60 workers to produce treadmills, threshers, wood saws, ensilage cutters and gasoline engines that were sold all over the world.
In 1868 A. W. Gray rediscovered Middletown's mineral spring which had been lost after the flood of 1811, inspiring a change in the town's name to Middletown Springs in 1885. The Grays bottled and sold the waters, helped finance construction of the Montvert Hotel resort in 1871, and built their own fashionable homes nearby.
Erected 1998 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 28.941′ N, 73° 7.092′ W. Marker is in Middletown
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middletown Springs War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Morgan House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birthplace of Oliver Cowdery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ira Town Hall c.1800 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Poultney Civil War Monument (approx. 5.2 miles away); Site of Oldest Union Church in America (approx. 5.2 miles away); Horace Greeley - George Jones (approx. 5.3 miles away); Jeffrey Brace (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown Springs.
Additional keywords. Horse power Farm equipment
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. 2. submitted on November 2, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. 3. submitted on May 11, 2017, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.