“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Naval Academy in Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Evolutions of Strawberry Hill

United States Naval Academy

— National Historic Landmark —

Evolutions of Strawberry Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 3, 2011
1. Evolutions of Strawberry Hill Marker
Inscription.  Historical records of colonial Annapolis show that Richard Spriggs, an important 18th Century Annapolitan, had a house built on Strawberry Hill in 1780. By 1796 Spriggs had leased the house to Henri Stier, an investment banker from Antwerp, and his family. Stier’s third child, Rosalie, married George Calvert, a scion of Lord Baltimore, and founder of what became the University of Maryland. From 1803 to 1823 the residence on Strawberry Hill served as the Anne Arundel County Almshouse. The purpose of the almshouse was to give shelter and work to the county’s poor.

The colonial house was gone when the Navy purchased the property, 67 acres, on July 15, 1868, and the adjoining 46 acres of Prospect Hill farm the following May as part of expansion efforts after the Civil War. A Naval Academy Cemetery was developed on the bluff closest to the creek, while the remaining property continued as a farm and orchard, providing fresh produce to the Midshipmen’s mess. The cemetery has become the final resting place of Navy, Marine Corps, and Army veterans from the War of 1812 to the present. This hallowed ground is the final resting place to over 6,000

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
men, women, and children, with ranks from blacksmith to Fleet Admiral. Navy family housing on the site began in 1903 with three yellow brick homes to serve the Marine Corps officers assigned to the Marine Corps Barracks, now Halligan Hall. In 1919 the barracks became the home of the Navy Post-Graduate School. Between 1922-24 a series of small bungalows were erected along Badger Road. In 1939, fourteen red brick apartment buildings, each consisting of six residential units were built.

The U.S. Naval Academy Hospital was built on adjacent high ground in 1907-11. It was designed by the Beaux Arts architect Ernest Flagg (1857-1947), who also designed many of the buildings on the lower yard of the Academy.

The hospital was expanded with major additions in 1942 and 1958. The expansion was designed by architects William Karcher and Livingston Smith whose designs were a simple interpretation of the original Neo-classical style. The hospital function was discontinued in 1974, but the buildings continue to service the Academy and retired community with medical clinics and supporting offices.

In 1942, an adjacent greenhouse was built about 100 feet northwest of this plaza to supply cut flowers for the hospital, chapel and Superintendent’s quarters. Records from May 1955 show that the greenhouse was producing a supply of flowers and other plants that outnumbered many of the local

Evolutions of Strawberry Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 3, 2011
2. Evolutions of Strawberry Hill Marker
nurseries within the Baltimore/Washington area. Over the years, the need for a functioning greenhouse decreased and it was demolished in 2009.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesNotable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1894.
Location. 38° 59.274′ N, 76° 29.496′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. It is in Naval Academy. Marker is on Phythian Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy next to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 290 Wood Rd, Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jeannette Arctic Exploring Expedition (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Husband Edward Kimmel (about 500 feet away); Henry Hays Lockwood (about 500 feet away); Terwilliger Brothers Field (approx. ¼ mile away); The United States Naval Academy Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Max E Bishop (approx. ¼ mile away); Sons of the Revolution (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John's College (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024