Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheverly in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Magruder Spring

(The Cheverly Spring)

 
 
The Magruder Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
1. The Magruder Spring Marker
Inscription.  According to tradition, the Magruder Spring was used by British troops marching along the river road toward Washington, D.C. on August 24, 1814 before the battle of Bladensburg. The Spring is located about 500 yard south of Mount Hope, the Fielder Magruder plantation house and was part of the plantation. It was the primary source of water for town residents in the early twenties. The site was set aside as town property and redesignated the Cheverly Spring by by Robert Marshall, founder of Cheverly, when he platted section 1 of the town in December, 1918.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1918.
 
Location. 38° 55.119′ N, 76° 54.895′ W. Marker is in Cheverly, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Cheverly Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2203 Cheverly Avenue, Hyattsville MD 20785, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crawford's Adventure Spring (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sylvan Vista Baptist Church (approx. one mile away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a different marker also named Sylvan Vista Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Thomas J. Ashe, Sr. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northeast 9 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Samuel Hargrove House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northeast 8 (approx. 1.2 miles away); James F. Armstrong House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheverly.
 
Also see . . .  Magruder Spring. (PDF) Maryland Historical Trust Determination of Eligibility form, prepared by Marina King, 1988 (Submitted on July 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
The Magruder Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
2. The Magruder Spring Marker
The Magruder Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
3. The Magruder Spring Marker
The Magruder Spring image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 10, 2012
4. The Magruder Spring
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61019

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024