Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpine in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe

 
 
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker
Inscription.  Site of the first Roman Catholic Church in Alpine. Deeded to the Diocese of San Antonio in 1896 by father and son Daniel and Thomas O. Murphy. The original adobe church building was dedicated November 19, 1902, by the Rev. A.J. Forest, Bishop of San Antonio, attended by Father Nicholas Brocardus, pastor of the Alpine parish, and assisted by Father Joseph Hoban of Ft. Davis. In 1914, the church became part of the newly established Diocese of El Paso. Father Manuel Cuadrado was assigned as the first resident priest in 1916. In 1917, the name was changed to Our Lady of Peace. After the new rock church was constructed in 1943, the original adobe church building was used as the Parish Hall until 1963, when it was razed and replaced with the current Parish hall building dedicated on July 15, 1964.
The Archives of Big Bend
Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library

 
Erected by Sul Ross State University.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1890.
 
Location. 30° 21.283′ N, 103° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
39.637′ W. Marker is in Alpine, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gallego Avenue and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Gallego Avenue. Marker is in the sidewalk on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alpine TX 79830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Peace (a few steps from this marker); Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Garcia-Valadez House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ritchey Hotel (about 700 feet away); John R. Holland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Hotel Building (approx. ¼ mile away); This Enduring Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gage-Van Sickle (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpine.
 
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker
Marker in sidewalk.
Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
4. Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61090

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024