Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bladensburg in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Casualties of War

Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail

 
 
Casualties of War Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
1. Casualties of War Marker
Inscription.  The Hilleary-Magruder House was likely one of many sites in town where more than 200 British and American soldiers wounded in the Battle of Bladensburg were taken for treatment and convalescence. Built in 1742 by William Hilleary, later the home of a Scottish tobacco merchant, the house was occupied by medical doctors from 1803 to 1863.



"I... paid a hasty visit to the wounded...in their apprehension of the evil treatment from the Americans,...they had done injustice to that people; who were found to possess at least one generous trait...that of behaving kindly and attentively to their prisoners." -- British Lieutenant George Robert Gleig

The British wounded who could travel were carried back to the ships. The seriously wounded were left in American hands.

Makeshift Hospital

Both sides generously treated wounded soldiers. The Ross House (the located across the street) served as a field hospital and was known locally as the "Old Brick Hospital." At least 18 British officers were reportedly treated there.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era

Casualties of War Marker in front of Hilleary-Magruder House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
2. Casualties of War Marker in front of Hilleary-Magruder House
Click or scan to see
this page online
War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1742.
 
Location. 38° 56.339′ N, 76° 56.266′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450), on the left when traveling west. In the front yard of Hilleary-Magruder House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4703 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hilleary-Magruder House (a few steps from this marker); The Market Square & Stone House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bostwick (about 700 feet away); World War II Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peace Cross (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); British Stopover (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Workplace of Many Generations (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
 
Old Hospital Bladensburg detail from Casualties of War Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 14, 2012
3. Old Hospital Bladensburg detail from Casualties of War Marker
The Dr. David Ross House was dismantled in 1958 and reconstructed about 10 years later at "Preservation Hill" in Cockeysville Maryland.
Ernest Maier Inc. on the site of the Old Brick Hospital (Ross House) at 4700 Annapolis Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 14, 2012
4. Ernest Maier Inc. on the site of the Old Brick Hospital (Ross House) at 4700 Annapolis Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61106

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022