Over the Summit
Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
“See 3 states, 7 counties”---For decades this was the slogan that greeted motorists as they climbed the Allegheny Mountain summit and rounded the sharp bend. The S.S. Grand View Point was the brainchild of Herbert Paulson, a Dutch immigrant. He began with a roadside stand and picnic/camping area: then expanded it to resemble a castle with multiple overlooks. The structure was cantilevered under and had 18 steel beams anchoring it. A telescope beckoned visitors to enjoy the 60+ mile view.
Because of his love of the sea, in 1932 Paulson transformed the castle structure into a ship---complete with observation decks, captain’s wheel, life preservers
New owners in the 1970’s attempted unsuccessfully to revive the site calling it Noah’s Ark. For more than twenty years the Ship sat idle and fell into serious disrepair. In the early morning hours of October 26, 2001, the S.S. Grand View Ship Hotel burned to the ground. Today, Lincoln Highway motorists still enjoy the view of “3 states and 7 counties” as they travel over the Allegheny Mountain summit.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Lincoln Highway 🛣️ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 26, 1836.
Location. 40° 2.232′ N, 78° 45.516′ W. Marker is in Juniata Township, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 534 Lincoln Hwy, Schellsburg PA 15559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forbes Road (approx. half a mile away); Jacob Kinsey (Kintzy) Homestead (approx. 2.1 miles away);
Also see . . . Historic American Buildings Survey record for the S.S. Grand View Point Hotel. (Submitted on November 22, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 22, 2012. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.