Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps.

Brig. Gen. Frank C. Armstrong.

— Sept. 20, 1863 —

 
 
Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
1. Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker
Inscription.  
Armstong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps.
Brig. Gen. Frank C. Armstrong.

Sept. 20, 1863.
Armstrong Brigade - Col. James T. Wheeler.
Forrest's Brigade - Col. George G. Dibrell.


This division, dismounted, occupied a position three quarters of a mile east of this point, and to the right of Breckinridge's Division. At 11 o'clock it captured the Union hospitals at the Cloud house and spring, but was driven away soon after noon by Gen. Gorden Granger's troops advancing from McAfee's church to the assistance of Gen. Thomas at Snodgrass Hill. After the passage of these troops Armstrong's Division again advanced, but was driven back a considerable distance east of this road to the ground from which it had shelled Granger's column upon its first appearance. From that position it opened with fourteen pieces of artillery upon an advance of the enemy, driving it back. It remained in that position during the afternoon, being occasionally engaged with the batteries of Dan McCook's Brigade of Gen. J. D. Morgan's Division, which Gen. Granger had left on the high ground
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north west of McDonald's house to protect the Union left.
 
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-1089.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1944.
 
Location. 34° 57.112′ N, 85° 15.59′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Lafayette Road and Coffman Drive, on the right when traveling south on Old Lafayette Road. This historic marker is located south of where the Old Lafayette Road crosses a creek, in front of a residence at the northwest corner of Old Lafayette Road and Coffman Drive, just two blocks west of the new Lafayette Road, and a short distance south of Battlefield Parkway (State Route 2). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armstrong's Brigade. (here, next to this marker); Hospitals, Left Wing, Union Army. (a few steps from this marker); Tennessee C.S.A. Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 1st Regiment & 18th Battalion Tennessee Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); Shaw's Tennessee Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Georgia Cavalry
Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
2. Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker
View of the historic marker looking north along the Old LaFayette Road.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dibrell's Brigade (about 300 feet away); Forrest's Pursuit (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
3. Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker
View of the historic marker, on the property of the residence, located on the northwest corner of Old Lafayette Road and Coffman Drive (view looking west along Coffman Drive).
Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
4. Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Marker
View of the historic marker looking south along the Old Lafayette Road, with a view of the Old Lafayette Road and Coffman Drive intersection in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61175

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024