Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Shaw's Tennessee Battery
— Forrest's Cavalry —
Shaw's Battery and
4. 8. 9. 10. & 11. Regiments
11 A.M. Sept.
Erected 1898 by the State of Tennessee. (Marker Number MT-1373.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 34° 57.082′ N, 85° 15.583′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Old Lafayette Road south of Coffman Drive, on the right when traveling south. This historic marker is located on residential property, along the roadside between the residential driveway and the residential mailbox, and where this road runs just west and parallel to the new Lafayette Road for a couple of blocks, and just south of Battlefield Parkway (State Route 2). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Old Lafayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1st Regiment & 18th Battalion Tennessee Cavalry (within shouting distance of Tennessee C.S.A. Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Dibrell's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. (within shouting distance of this marker); Hospitals, Left Wing, Union Army. (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Georgia Cavalry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forrest's Pursuit (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “1'6" wide x 1' deep x 3' high, the marker is a rectangular block of smooth-faced Tennessee gray marble inscribed on the front. Marks these units' position on September 20, 1863, at 11:00 a.m.”
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.