Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pecos in Reeves County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pioneer Graveyard

 
 
Pioneer Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
1. Pioneer Graveyard Marker
Inscription.  Earliest Pecos landmark. Started with burial of men in hazardous work of building Texas & Pacific Railroad, 1881. Used over 30 years by settlers in the Pecos Valley. First markers, of native red stone or wood, have now been lost or effaced in sandstorms and floods.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4029.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 31° 25.85′ N, 103° 29.345′ W. Marker is in Pecos, Texas, in Reeves County. Marker is on East A Street, 0.3 miles east of North Cedar Street (U.S. 285), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pecos TX 79772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emigrants' Crossing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mrs. Lillie W. Cole (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Orient Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pecos, Texas (approx. half a mile away); Reeves County World War II Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pecos.
 
Pioneer Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
2. Pioneer Graveyard Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 698 times since then and 152 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61272

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024