Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early in its history, in 1851, a tornado struck the settlement, but miraculously caused little property damage and no injuries. A private school was established in 1852 and served children of the Green Lake and surrounding communities.
The outbreak of the Civil War caused many changes in Green Lake. Following the U.S. surrender by General David Twiggs in 1861, Federal troops camped near here awaiting transport ships. With its agricultural economy based largely upon slave labor, Green Lake declined following the war when landowners, facing a labor shortage, began to leave the area. By 1875, most of the original settlers were gone.
Although in existence a relatively short period of time, Green Lake contributed to the history
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2268.)
Location. 28° 31.503′ N, 96° 47.645′ W. Marker is near Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 35 and State Highway 185, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 35. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Mission Refugio (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cotton Gins of Calhoun County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Preston Rose Austin (approx. 7½ miles away); Battle of Norris Bridge (approx. 9½ miles away); Calhoun County Participation During World War II (approx. 11.9 miles away); Calhoun County Hurricanes (approx. 11.9 miles away); Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr. (approx. 11.9 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 12.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Green Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.