Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
10th Confederate Georgia Cavalry
— Pegram's Division —
Co's, "F", "G", "H", "I", "K",
Col. C.T. Goode.
11 A.M. Sept. 20, 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1289.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 57.221′ N, 85° 15.62′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Old Lafayette Road north of Gilbert Drive, on the right when traveling south. This historic marker is located in front of a residence on Old Lafayette Road, and this road runs just west, and parallel to, the new Lafayette Road for two blocks, just south of Battlefield Parkway (State Route 2). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1927 Old Lafayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pegram's Division (a few steps from this marker); 6th Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Reserve Corps (about 300 feet away, First Firing on Chickamauga Battlefield (about 300 feet away); Forrest's (Cavalry) Corps. (about 300 feet away); Forrest's Pursuit (about 300 feet away); 1st Georgia Cavalry (about 400 feet away); Armstrong's Brigade. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 5:00 p.m.” and "Marker located in the town of Chickamauga, GA."
Note, even though the NPS describes this marker as being located in Chickamauga, GA, it is actually located in Fort Oglethorpe, GA, and even though the NPS states that the marker is located on the unit's position on "September 20, 1863, at 5:00 p.m.," the text on the marker states that this was the unit's position at "11 A.M. Sept. 20, 1863."
James H. Ogden, the Historian for the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, has indicated that this unit marker is indeed positioned at the correct location.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 587 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.