Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericktown in Madison County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fredericktown

 
 
Fredericktown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 4, 2010
1. Fredericktown Marker
Side one.
Inscription.  
Here in the southern extent of Missouriís historic southeast Lead Belt, Fredericktown was laid out on Saline Creek, 1819, by state legislator Nathaniel Cook. Commissioners T. F. Tong, Joseph Bennett, James Dotson, John Burditt, and Henry Whitener chose it as the seat of Madison County, organized, 1818. The town name, according to tradition, is for pioneer George Frederick Bollinger, and the county name honors the U.S. President.

Historical continuity in the area begins with 1715 when La Mothe Cadillac, French Gov. of Louisiana, seeking silver, found lead at nearby Mine La Motte. Philip Renault opened the mine, 1723, and transient miners operated there throughout the 1700ís. First permanent settlement began 1799 when French-Canadians founded St. Michael now a part of Fredericktown, on a Spanish grant and Americans took up land in the county.

The Battle of Fredericktown, a Civil War engagement, occurred near here, on Oct. 21, 1861. Some 2,000 pro-Southern State Guards led by Col. M. Jeff Thompson, attempting to get control of southeast Mo., were defeated by 4,500 Union troops under Col. J. B. Plummer.

Fredericktown, in

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north Madison County, lies near the geologic center of the Ozarks in an area of unique mineralization in the Mississippi Valley. The county, one of the States prominent lead and cobalt producers, has fertile farm land in wide valleys and fine timber on rugged hills which form a part of Clark National Forest.

Fredericktown's development as a banking and trading center was assured with the coming of the St. Louis and Iron Mt. R.R. (Mo. Pac.), 1869. A railroad division point was later set up here. Marvin (Methodist) College was located in Fredericktown, 1894-1925.

Nearby Mine La Motte, oldest lead mine in Mo., has been utilized by white men since 1715. Osage Indians, who claimed the area until their 1808 Missouri land cession, killed 7 miners there in 1774. In early days, lead from the mine was moulded into the shape of collars and hung on the necks of horses for the trip over Three Notch Road to Ste. Genevieve. An Indian trail and oldest road in Mo., it was named for trail markings. To the west is Einstein Silver Mine. Worked in the 1880ís it is the only silver mine in Mo.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Missouri, The State Historical Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
 
Location.

Fredericktown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 4, 2010
2. Fredericktown Marker
Side two.
37° 33.564′ N, 90° 17.664′ W. Marker is in Fredericktown, Missouri, in Madison County. Marker is on Main Street. The marker is located on the grounds of the County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericktown MO 63645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry F. Frizzell Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Madison County Missouri (a few steps from this marker); War Eagle Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War 1775-1783 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Michael's Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office Fredericktown, Missouri (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericktown.
 
Fredericktown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Thomas Onions, September 24, 2011
3. Fredericktown Marker
The marker can be seen on the left side of the Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,255 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on November 7, 2020, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61715

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024